Sunday, August 3, 2008

Thing #19

I explored the site from the Web 2.0 awards list. I found it difficult to navigate and I didn't really know what to do with it. I would have much preferred to search the worst of web 2.0 awards, and did so when this got dull. I really needed a pick me up.

What is special about the tool?

That a company chose to provide a service to optimize search engines??? I'm not sure. It "ranks" websites so that the viewer can see the "best" available according to award categories.

What are its useful parts, especially with regards to Libraries and school?
The tags "Education" and "Books" are useful categories for both teachers and students. It gives the user feedback before the user is to visit the website, and that can be helpful if the user wants to research the legitimacy of the website and the information on that site.

How might you use this tool in your own setting?

It would be a good place to let your students know about so they could do more informed searches. It would be a good place to use in order for research so you would know what you were "in for" when you went to a website. Also, just venturing to the website brought me to another website about languages, something that I haven't had time to research but now I know where to go and that that website is a tool for total language immersion.

1 comment:

VWB said...

Inanswer to your Question:
"What is special about the tool?"


each player is invited to "discover" one tool among the many, many award winners listed. Some have chosen thigs of personal interest over things that are work related.

It was simply a chance to explore more award-winning sites...for whatever reason they are winners and whatever reason you might find one interesting!